Recently I was approached by a new band called Hazrat for a promotional shoot. And I learnt quite a few things from the shoot. So here is the list!
- Meet the band before the shoot: It is really important to get to know the band members and what the band is all about before the shoot. This really helps to identify the style of pictures they want to go for and what they will be using the pictures for. You obviously don’t want any confusion during the shoot.
- Finding a location: Once you know the band’s genre is and how they want to be portrayed you can start finding a suitable location. Don’t be afraid to ask the band members if they have any location in mind. Bars and restaurants can even be used as a location but make sure you always ask for permission.
- Planning the shots: I usually draw sketches of the shots I am planning to get with the poses as well as the lighting. It’s then easier to explain that what you really want them to do. It also makes you prepared for the shoot and gives you an idea of the gear you need to carry with you.
- Look for opportunities: Sometimes the best shots are unplanned or just candid. So keep looking for opportunities and improvise on your pre-planned shots.
- Clothes to be worn by the band members: Sometimes you want the clothes to match with the location and sometimes you don’t. So it’s better to discuss beforehand. The clothes of your band members will also depict them in a certain way.
- Once everything is sorted explain the band what is going to happen: Meet them before the shoot again or just explain it to them on site. This will give you more time to shoot.
- Have someone to help you with the coordination: If you are on a strict time schedule and tight on budget then you might a friend or family to help you. You would surely need someone to at least hold the reflector or move your strobes around. Well, don’t forget to thank them!
- Select the photographs: Make sure you show the best shots to the band. There is no point in showing the 100 photographs, they will be surprised by the number of pictures but this will surely affect their perception of your work.
Lastly, I would like to add a link to their latest song. These guys are really talented!
Do check them out!